Blender 2.65 MakeClothes process?

Here you can find the help you need to solve usage problems

Moderator: pistacja

Blender 2.65 MakeClothes process?

Postby Tikigod » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:40 am

I have recently been following the MakeClothes documentation, specifically the section 'Making a T-shirt' but I have noticed some discrepancies between what the documentation is saying I should be getting and what MakeHuman and Blender are producing together.

Up until exporting the human model from MakeHuman everything seems to fine, but when importing into Blender 2.65 as .obj retaining all mentioned geometry and data the following so far has occurred:

The following is from importing the '<modelname> clothed>' file that is created when exporting.

1) First attempt, everything was individual objects (Though I suspect I may have forgotten to keep vertex order when importing), and have never actually been able to recreate this output again!

2) Second time, ensuring that vertex order was kept I was given a mesh but with the skirt helper geometry merged directly into the character mesh itself with vertices all over the place. No vertex groups were actually imported as part of the model. All faces had a semi-transparent chrome-like material applied, and no top helper geometry in sight, though it would be hard to tell given the material applied.

3) Third time doing exact the same as the previous attempt except this time I enabled the 'Poly Groups' import option, I got the same output (Helper geometry part of the character mesh data itself) but with a single vertex group created this time (apparently empty, as edit mode -> select vertex group did not select any vertices).

For the 2nd and 3rd attempts each time I tried to work around the problem, used the create vertex groups on the top to make a left, middle and right and even tried to do similar on the character mesh to just get the makeclothes script to at least run without throwing errors, but even with getting the script to run without complaining nothing comes from the 20-30 seconds it takes for the script to finish.

Thinking it was maybe a outstanding Alpha 7 bug, more out of curiosity than anything I did grab the Python-only development branch (r4144) and attempted to export from MakeHuman again... sticking to the same process as outlined in the documentation (or at least as close to it as possible with the removal of options such as exporting a models 'diamonds'), but still to no avail.

So is there a more recent outline for a process to get MakeClothes to work with a character that has been exporting using MakeHuman? A search of the forums hasn't really shed any light on the matter other than back in March someone reported the same problem, and further posts mentioned the problem was likely caused with the introduction of Bmesh into Blender but has since been resolved... :?
Tikigod

Re: Blender 2.65 MakeClothes process?

Postby ThomasL » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:48 pm

The documentation is somewhat old but still essentially valid. Diamonds are now called Helper Geometry, since it includes the skirt and tights helpers as well as the joint helpers. If the scripts takes 20-30 seconds to complete, it must be making a mhclo file. Are you sure that you have looked for it in the right directory (the one in the fourth row of the panel)?

Don't forget to press the Human button with the human mesh selected, and Clothing with the clothing selected. You need to specify the mesh type before making vertex groups automatically. Also remember to press Export Obj File afterwards.
ThomasL

Postby Lemon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 am

Is OBJ format mandatory for the base mesh when I plan to use it with MakeClothes? Can I use mhx instead?
Lemon

Postby ThomasL » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Lemon wrote:Is OBJ format mandatory for the base mesh when I plan to use it with MakeClothes? Can I use mhx instead?

A clothing is defined by an mhclo and an obj file.
ThomasL

Postby Lemon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:07 am

A clothing is defined by an mhclo and an obj file.

So it doesn't matter whether I export the base character mesh as OBJ or MHX as long as the clothing mesh is OBJ?
Lemon

Return to Newbies