makehuman + blender + CMU mocaps!

Moderator: pistacja

makehuman + blender + CMU mocaps!

Postby behealed » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:08 pm

Hey all, I've been using blender now for about one week. So I'm a n00b. And I'm trying to do something that I know for a fact at least a few of you have already done. So I'm wondering if a few of you can provide some quick instructions to help guide me on my way...

What I would like to do is make two characters for a game in Unity3d, one male, and one female.

I have the female character made already with makehuman (turns out that makehuman was the simplest part of the process, duh!)

I'm using the most recent daily update of makehuman. I'm also using the latest blender 2.5x.

Here is what I want, and what I don't want.

I want:
1) to make my female character walk, jump, idle, etc.

I don't want:
1) to record my own animations in blender. Sure, the makehuman model comes rigged. But if *i* animate it, it's going to take me a month, and I'm sure the final result will look like a stuff zombie rather than a lady walking. So I DON'T want to animate it myself.

So after much running around on the internet (I tried Mixamo.com, but I guess they don't like the jaw bone that makehuman creates. It twisted my ladie's face and made her look like a monster!)... I couldn't really find any simple "no skill required" solution to make my makehuman model walk, jump, idle, etc.

But I found http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/search.php, where there are lots of animations that look pretty realistic.

So I go into blender, and here is about how far along I get (remember I have almost no blender skills):

1) I open my makehuman model in blender (after loading the various required scripts into the text boxes... hassle!)
2) I import the bvh from CMU into blender.
3) the BVH is laying on it's back, and it's arms and legs are spread out like it's trying to make a starfish in the sand on a beach!
4) So after a lot of effort, I finally get the BVH thing to stand up straight, and scaled to the size of my lady model.
5) The lady model is standing in a T-form (with her legs together), and the BVH is standing in a spread out X shape. Hmm.
6) So after much time spent on youtube, I try my hand at some "constraints".
7) Problem... the MakeHuman model is in a bunch of different layers. I press ~1234 keys, and it scrolls through them. Some look like skin, others clothes, others circles,
others points. Ahhh too complicated.
8) I go with the one that looks like points and lines on her skin. After a lot of effort, I appear to have managed to select just one foot rather than the whole bone structure.
9) I remember the name of the bone, it is... "Rorkimaru Foot_L". Yea.
10) I select the left-ish foot on the BVH bones. It's name is... "myBVH lfoot".
11) I go back and select Rorkimaru Foot_L, and on the right side I click every single button until I find "bone constraints" (as opposed to just "constraints" -- which seems to cause my entire lady to attach very stiffy to the foot of the BVH, which isn't right).
12) under bone constraints, I click "add constraint" and then "location". I type myBVH into the first box. Then in the second box that appears, I type lfoot.
13) press enter.
14) her foot snaps to the other foot.
15) It looks terrible.
16) So I add another constraint, this time "rotation". Now her foot rotates to look better. Except that now it looks like her leg is broken.
17) So I do the same thing to attach her knee and thigh to the BVH.
18) Looks better, except that it's deforming her body. Her hip bone is stretched out to try to PERFECTLY match the X shape of the BVH. And the BVH, even though I scaled it to the same height as my lady, it still isn't an EXACT match of her body shape.
19) so I feel like I'm doing something wrong, and I don't want to waste my time continuing down a road that's not going to work out in the end. In the end, my lady's body shape is going to be significantly deformed (all her bones stretched and joints dislocated) to match the BVH.
20) I was rather hoping that the BVH would move her body, but not stretch or break her bones!

Anyway, now for my questions:
1) Is there a way easier way to do what I'm trying to do?
2) If I was on the right track, can someone explain in detail exact how to make the BVH not spread out (with its legs wide open) in the X shape? It's supposed to be a walking animation, and instead it looks like it's a guy who got stuck in a huge spider web and he's groping at the air trying to get out. Not walking for sure.
3) And again, if I'm on the right track, can anyone explain how to make the BVH bind or attach to the makehuman, without deforming the makehuman?

PLEASE if you want to help me, tell me exactly what buttons to click in blender step by step. Don't assume I know how to follow you if you summarize by saying "yea just switch to binding mode". Please, you'll torture me, because I don't know how to do stuff unless you tell me what to click.

Thanks to all in advance. I'm sure it'll help a lot more people than just me.
behealed

Re: makehuman + blender + CMU mocaps!

Postby behealed » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:36 pm

P.S. the current nightly build gives a blue screen of death nearly every time I open it. I'm using a dell inspiron 1545 laptop with onboard graphics with vista. My laptop runs blender and 3ds max and unity3d just fine. So it should run makehuman.
behealed

Postby behealed » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:38 pm

Another P.S., the regular makehuman (not the nightly build, but the latest release) does NOT give the BSOD. But the nightly build does. It gives the BSOD right when I try to run makehuman. It hangs as soon as the debug window appears, before the makehuman window even appears. I was able to get it to open once though, but the other 9 or so trimes I've tried to open it, it BSOD.
behealed

Postby mflerackers » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:08 am

The nightly build is corrupt, you need to copy the exe from the bin folder.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby behealed » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:33 am

thx that fixed the crashing :)

now for blender...

So now what I'm wondering is if it's possible to make the MHX actually work with the BVH file. Like, rather than link a mesh obj to the BVH (which, I guess, can stretch and deform the mesh)... if there is a way to link the rigg that comes right out of makehuman (which is in the MHX) directly to the bvh, so that the bones of the MHX will follow the bones of the BVH? Seems like a brilliant idea. Surely I'm not the first to come up with it. Anyone?
behealed

Postby mflerackers » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:39 am

I'm sure the answer should be here http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman ... _11_24.pdf.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby ThomasL » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:59 am

ThomasL

Postby behealed » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:04 am

mflerackers wrote:I'm sure the answer should be here http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman ... _11_24.pdf.

Thanks, the BVH to MHX plugin totally is awesome. Solved my problems.
behealed

Ads by Google

Ads by Google

Return to General